Tuesday, July 31, 2007

On The Road


Like many sailors, I've seen a lot of this country traveling to and from regattas. I pulled into Ithaca last night after 2900 miles of driving from San Francisco, and the funny thing is that I enjoyed it. The wide open spaces of Neveda, Utah, and Wyoming are spectacularly empty, and the constant hum of the road gives you plenty of time to think and dream.
Although my goal is to win sailboat races, what I'm doing isn't really even about sailing. It is mostly about doing something that I WANT to do, something that I am fully engaged in and attentive to. Whether it is driving across America, exercising in the gym, or reading the wind on the water before a race, the job of the sailing campaigner is to pay attention to the details, and to dedicate themself to improvement and awareness.
"The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called 'yourself'."
"The study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study of the art of rationality itself. Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become a part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind. The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
-Robert M Pirsig
Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

No comments: