Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Leaky Boat, 2 OCS's make BBR a tough regatta

The Buzzard's Bay Regatta (August 3-5, New Bedford, Mass.) didn't go as well as planned this weekend, although it was a good warm-up event for the upcoming US Nationals and CORK regattas. After a week of driving cross country and getting organized on a new coast, I wasn't feeling too energetic, and it showed with a couple of big mistakes mid-way through the regatta. On Day Two I started two out of three races just over the starting line, meaning that I was scored OCS (on-course-side) and received 65 points per race. Each competitor is allowed to drop one score from their overall point total, so I was able to not-count one of these big scores, but the other 65 I had to count, driving me well down on the results page. I did win the final race of the regatta, but overall I was feeling a bit off-point and my concentration was lacking. I finished 14th out of 64.

Another setback was the fact that the brand new boat that I purchased on Thursday was a lemon and leaked over a gallon of water into the hull on Friday and Saturday. I made sure that Vanguard Sailboat's knew that I wasn't so happy about that, and so on Monday I went to the factory and traded the boat in for another new boat that hopefully will not leak at all. No permanent damage done, but it was a distraction.

This week the Laser Tour takes us to Lake Champlain, Vermont for the US Nationals. The Regatta will be held from August 10 to 12th, but I will be there for practice starting on Tuesday the 7th.

Thanks to the Nadler family for housing me along with friends Trevor Moore, Emery Wager, Mora O'Malley, and JM Moddisette. Your generosity is appreciated!

No comments: